[rfc-i] Proper way to include examples with yet-to-be-assigned values?

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Thu Aug 12 14:47:52 PDT 2010

Greetings again. I am co-author on a document that has examples that include values that we are simply guessing because they need to be assigned by IANA when the document becomes an RFC. That is, they come from a registry that (will soon be) "RFC required". We picked some numbers out of the air so that people could see what the rest of the format would look like, and put a big disclaimer at the top of the section with the examples.

My questions:

Is there a "best practices" for what to do in this situation.

Is there a good way to mark this for the RFC Editor?

Does the Production Center have an example of a recent-vintage Internet Draft that they thought got it just right?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium