[rfc-i] [IAB] path forward with RFC 3932bis

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Sep 21 10:49:26 PDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Jim Schaad wrote:

> Ok - the problem I have, and the reason that I asked, is that it is
> not
> clear to me that the Independent Series Editor (ISE) is part of the
> RFC
> Editor any more than the ISRG is going to be.  Thus it is the ISE
> not the
> RFC Editor that will be asking for the IESG to review documents in the
> future.  The first level of negotiations would be between the ISE
> and the
> ISEG, the second level would add the RSE and the final level would
> be the
> IAB.

RFC Editor includes the ISE (the model defined the ISE as one of the
components of the RFC Editor)

RFC5620:
   "Note that RFC 4844 uses the term "RFC Editor function" or "RFC
    Editor" as the collective set of responsibilities for which this
memo
    provides a model for internal organization.  This memo introduces
the
    term "RFC Series Editor" or "Series Editor" for one of the
    organizational components."

> This change from the RFC Editor processing independent submissions
> to an ISE
> doing the same thing - with an additional layer of possible internal
> review
> from the RSE - is not reflected in the document.

Correct. Personally I don't think that is a big issue. If the RFC
series allowed footnotes I would add a footnote about how it would
work out with the ISE and RSE in version 1 of the RFC Editor model ....

--Olaf

                                        Science Park 140,