[rfc-i] [IAB] path forward with RFC 3932bis

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Sep 21 10:49:26 PDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Jim Schaad wrote:

> Ok - the problem I have, and the reason that I asked, is that it is
> not
> clear to me that the Independent Series Editor (ISE) is part of the
> Editor any more than the ISRG is going to be.  Thus it is the ISE
> not the
> RFC Editor that will be asking for the IESG to review documents in the
> future.  The first level of negotiations would be between the ISE
> and the
> ISEG, the second level would add the RSE and the final level would
> be the
> IAB.

RFC Editor includes the ISE (the model defined the ISE as one of the
components of the RFC Editor)

   "Note that RFC 4844 uses the term "RFC Editor function" or "RFC
    Editor" as the collective set of responsibilities for which this
    provides a model for internal organization.  This memo introduces
    term "RFC Series Editor" or "Series Editor" for one of the
    organizational components."

> This change from the RFC Editor processing independent submissions
> to an ISE
> doing the same thing - with an additional layer of possible internal
> review
> from the RSE - is not reflected in the document.

Correct. Personally I don't think that is a big issue. If the RFC
series allowed footnotes I would add a footnote about how it would
work out with the ISE and RSE in version 1 of the RFC Editor model ....

                                        Science Park 140,