[rfc-i] Copyright and the Independent Stream

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Mon Sep 14 15:58:16 PDT 2009

We (the RFC community) have published "No Derivative Works" RFCs before.
  These have been used, for example, to publish standards from other
bodies where they were making the material available to us, but we did
not have the right to further evolve the standard.

Editorial processing (such as book editors and the ISE / RFC Production
house perform) are not usually considered derivative works.  (I am sure
someone can come up with a counter-example.)  In this case, the thesis
is that the author, who has the rights, is requesting RFC Publication in
the Independent Stream.  So we clearly have the right to perform that
publication.  However, they are not allowing us to give anyone else
rights to modify the document.

Yours,
Joel