[rfc-i] Copyright and the Independent Stream

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Mon Sep 14 15:11:50 PDT 2009

After chatting with Dave off-line to make sure I understood him,
the text in Section 3 needs minor clarification.
Currently it reads:
    Note also that this unlimited derivative works policy applies to all
    parts of an Independent Stream document, including any code.
    Therefore, no separate licensing procedure is required for extracting
    and adapting code that is contained in an Independent Stream
    document.

This leads to the question Dave (and others) have asked.
My suggested fix, if folks find it workable, would be
    Note also that this unlimited derivative works policy applies to all
    parts of an Independent Stream document, including any code.
    Therefore, for documents submitted under the preferred unlimited
    derivative works policy, no separate licensing procedure is
    required for extracting and adapting code that is contained in
    an Independent Stream document.  Code may not be extract and
    adapted from Independent Stream documents submitted under the
    no derivative works terms.

Yours,
Joel