[rfc-i] Copyright and the Independent Stream

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Mon Sep 14 13:16:25 PDT 2009

The basic answer to this reasonable quesiton is - no can do.

This is admittedly a simplification.  We could create a multiplicity of
rules, for every imaginable case.  And then no one would understand what
applies whn.

So, the assumption is that the normal case is unlimited derivative
works.  For special cases, the ISE will allow "no derivative works."  If
you really are in the special corner case of wanting an Independent
Stream RFC, needing a no-derivative-works rights grant with sufficient
strength that you can convince the ISE that you really do need it), and
wanting to allow people to work with the code, put a copy of the code
somewhere else.  That is not a good answer.  But the alternative is a
nightmare.

Yours,
Joel