[rfc-i] Copyright and the Independent Stream

Dave Thaler dthaler at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 14 12:50:11 PDT 2009

I have read and support draft-braden-independent-submission-00.txt

I have one question for the authors, which is regarding the last
two paragraphs of section 3.

This permits "unlimited derivative works" and "no derivative
works".  What if authors want "no derivative works" except that
any Code Components can be used?

The draft currently says:
> Note also that this unlimited derivative works policy applies to all
> parts of an Independent Stream document, including any code.
> Therefore, no separate licensing procedure is required for extracting
> and adapting code that is contained in an Independent Stream
> document.

The last sentence in the quoted paragraph above can be read as
saying that "no derivative works" means there is no possibility
for using code contained in a "no derivative works" RFC either.
Suggest swapping the order of the above paragraph and the one
that precedes it (about the "no derivative works" possibility),
and adding clarifying text that states whether a licensing
procedure for code is required in the "no derivative works" case.

-Dave