[rfc-i] Last Call on draft-braden-independent-submission-00.txt

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Mon Sep 14 11:01:04 PDT 2009

Friends,

RFC publication in the Independent Stream has been suspended for quite a
long time, pending resolution of the copyright issues that are involved.

Really, the copyright issues for the Independent Stream were settled
more than 2 years ago, in July 2007, by RFC 4846. Section 8 of that
document defined the Stream's copyright rules in lawyerly language. What
has been missing is the mechanism to enforce those rules, considering
the role of the Trust and its incoming/outgoing rights model.

Now, it is very easy to get lost in many Twisty Little Passages on this
topic, and we did repeatedly. At the last IETF meeting, there were
numerous meetings and hallway discussions. Members of the RFC Editor
staff and of the RFC Editorial Board participated in many of these
discussions. The IAB Chair finally led us towards light, saying "it is
really very simple..."

The bottom line is that we believe that nearly all the pieces are in
place. The major missing pieces are actions/agreements that the Trust
needs to make for outgoing rights on Independent Submissions.  A request
must be made to the Trust, and this request must have community consensus.

Joel Halpern and I therefore put together
draft-braden-independent-submission-00.txt for discussion.
According to recent precedent, it seems that a 30 day Last Call is
required. Hopefully, consensus will be reached, and it can be published
as an Informational RFC in the Independent Stream.  Please note that (we
believe that) this document is completely consistent with Section 8 of
RFC 4846.

The next issue is the venue for discussion of this draft. Since the
"community" served by the Independent Submission stream is potentially a
superset of the standards-setting body called the "IETF", the IETF list
did not seem to be an appropriate venue. Rather, the rfc-interest list
seems to be the most appropriate place for this Last Call discussion.

We are therefore declaring a 30 day Last Call on the draft named above.

The steps are: community discussion and consensus, publication as RFC,
an announcement of agreement from the Trust, and the create of
appropriate boilerplate by the Trust. THEN we can begin publishing in
the Independent Submission stream again.  It would help if the Trust
actions could be overlapped with (though ultimately contigent upon) the
Last Call discussion.  Let's hope that a month from now it will be settled.

Bob Braden
for the RFC Editor
and the RFC Editorial Board