[rfc-i] whos's in charge, was Copyright and the Independent Stream

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat Sep 12 15:47:45 PDT 2009

>The lawyers made the decision without community consensus. The *lawyers*
>are the ones who need to decide that they can live with the old rules
>until the new ones are in place.
>
>Community consensus won't overturn lawyers.

If it's true that the IETF or the Trust has delegated its decision
making process to its lawyers, that's very dismaying to hear.

I've been in a lot of organizations and used a lot of lawyers, and one
thing that has been utterly consistent is that the lawyers invariably
recommend that we go to great lengths to avoid legal risks, and they
never consider whether the costs of doing what they say makes any
sense relative to the risks they are intended to avoid. I frequently
said thanks, but we'll live with these, and I'm not bankrupt yet.

The old rules couldn't have been that bad; if they were there would
have been lots of expensive lawsuits.  Unless I'm missing something,
there haven't even been any inexpensive lawsuits.  Perhaps it's time
for our leadership to lead.

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.