[rfc-i] Copyright and the Independent Stream

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 21:31:53 PDT 2009

Joe,

On 2009-09-11 15:44, Joe Touch wrote:
> See below.
>

> On Sep 10, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter
> <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-09-07 00:51, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
>>> SM,

>>> I assume you meant Section 4 of RFC 3978 as amended by RFC 4748.
>>>
>>> Just speaking as a past author of what would now be considered
>>> "independent stream" RFCs, but certainly NOT as any sort of an expert
>>> on copyright law, I'm willing to defer to those much more expert than
>>> I am on these matters, but with the express goal of getting the
>>> independent stream publishing again ASAP. It has an important
>>> function, as has been recently discussed at great length on the IETF
>>> list. If that means going back to RFCs 3978 and 4748 for the
>>> independent stream for now, then so be it.
>>
>> Even that needs some perception of community consensus, though.
>> Hopefully, we can make equally rapid progress in a forward gear.
>>

> Was there community consensus to shut down the stream for this? If so,
> please send a pointer. If not, the same executive authority that shut it
> down can put it back until **the community** indicates otherwise.

We are slightly at cross-purposes. The decision to hold up publication
was taken, as I understand it, to avoid entering a legally undefined
situation. There are indeed at least two ways out of that - deciding
to revert to the older rules, or deciding to institute new rules.
All I'm saying is that both of those would presumably require some
degree of community consensus.

   Brian