[rfc-i] Copyright and the Independent Stream

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Sep 10 20:44:37 PDT 2009

See below.

On Sep 10, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
 > wrote:

> On 2009-09-07 00:51, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
>> SM,
>>
>>> The Independent Stream has been on hold since 15th February,
>>> 2009.  Is it really that bad to go back to Section 4 of RFC 3978
>>> until the community can agree on what it wants and the
>>> implementation
>>> details?  I don't think so.
>>
>> I assume you meant Section 4 of RFC 3978 as amended by RFC 4748.
>>
>> Just speaking as a past author of what would now be considered
>> "independent stream" RFCs, but certainly NOT as any sort of an expert
>> on copyright law, I'm willing to defer to those much more expert than
>> I am on these matters, but with the express goal of getting the
>> independent stream publishing again ASAP. It has an important
>> function, as has been recently discussed at great length on the IETF
>> list. If that means going back to RFCs 3978 and 4748 for the
>> independent stream for now, then so be it.
>
> Even that needs some perception of community consensus, though.
> Hopefully, we can make equally rapid progress in a forward gear.

Was there community consensus to shut down the stream for this? If so,
please send a pointer. If not, the same executive authority that shut
it down can put it back until **the community** indicates otherwise.

Joe