[rfc-i] Copyright and the Independent Stream

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 05:51:59 PDT 2009

SM,

> The Independent Stream has been on hold since 15th February,
> 2009.  Is it really that bad to go back to Section 4 of RFC 3978
> until the community can agree on what it wants and the implementation
> details?  I don't think so.

I assume you meant Section 4 of RFC 3978 as amended by RFC 4748.

Just speaking as a past author of what would now be considered
"independent stream" RFCs, but certainly NOT as any sort of an expert
on copyright law, I'm willing to defer to those much more expert than
I am on these matters, but with the express goal of getting the
independent stream publishing again ASAP. It has an important
function, as has been recently discussed at great length on the IETF
list. If that means going back to RFCs 3978 and 4748 for the
independent stream for now, then so be it.

Cheers,
Andy