[rfc-i] 'gaps' in the RFC index

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Oct 2 02:48:41 PDT 2009

Alfred ? wrote:
> Hello again,
> as some kind of update to previous messages to the RFC Editor
> and/or the rfc-interest list, I would like to once more point out
> a sustained deficiency of the RFC metadata and index.
>
> (The most recent one of these -- roughly annual -- reminders was:
>   > From: ah at TR-Sys.de
>   > To: rfc-interest at rfc-editor.org
>   > Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 20:20:24 +0200 (MESZ)
> )
>
> The RFC index used to document which RFC numbers have never been
> issued (and will not be issued any more).  To this end, the
> "rfc-index.txt" file, as indicated in its preface, contains
> entries of the form:
>
>   #### Not Issued.

Yes, these are useful; I recently needed RFC numbers in certain number
ranges for test cases (for xml2rfc), and it was a nice way to find
numbers that could be used for testing with no risk of the test case
ending up in Google, confusing them with a "real" RFC.

> and these entries appear in the XML version of the RFC index as:
>
>   <rfc-not-issued-entry>
>       <doc-id>RFC####</doc-id>
>   </rfc-not-issued-entry>

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the pointer.

BR, Julian