[rfc-i] Important: do not publish "draft-iab-streams-headers-boilerplates-08" as is!

John C Klensin john+rfc at jck.com
Fri Nov 27 17:08:08 PST 2009

-- Dave Crocker wrote:

> "Ready Fire Aim"  has characterized the pattern of IPR work on
> this topic in  recent years, and the results have been exactly
> as messy as one would predict.
>
> This is a running system.  Changes need to be made cautiously,
> with an eye  towards safe and correct operations.
>
> We -- the part of the IETF that has been imposing changes --
> haven't been doing  that very well.
>
> We should fix that, before we blast out more problematic
> changes.

Dave,

While I agree with most of what you say above, especially the
"not doing that very well" part, and am please that the RFC
Editor is willing to take a quick second look, I note that much
of what hinges on the problem text in headers and boilerplate is
a collection of independent stream documents that have been on
hold for months and months.  Consequently, this is not "a
running system".  It is a system that has ground to a halt
waiting for this document and documents on which it has
normative dependencies.  That may imply a little more need for
haste, or at least some assignment of priority.

    john