[rfc-i] "obsoleted by" in RFC 5143

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 11:33:17 PST 2009

Bob and Julian,

I can fill you in on that one, as the primary guilty party.

When we did the work in the pwe3 working group on this protocol, even
though what we standardized was RFC 4842, there were substantial
pre-standard deployments of the original early drafts, which can
happen when the running code precedes the rough consensus :-).

So the agreement we reached in the WG was that we would publish 4842
as the officially blessed PS for future implementations to use, and
then go back and publish the original work as historic, just to
document what was running in the field at that time. That resulted in
5143, which was indeed obsoleted by 4842. We made that pretty clear in
the abstract to 5143.

Cheers,
Andy

When we did the work on RFC 4842 in the PWE3