[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Russ Housley housley at vigilsec.com
Fri Mar 27 15:15:45 PDT 2009

Leslie:

Thanks for posting this suggestion.  It is quite clear that you have
given it a lot of thought.

One thing that is vague to me, is the selection process for the
RSE.  I think that the committee that you describe could select an
individual for confirmation by the IAB.  This preserves the
accountability to the IAB, which I think is very important.

The selection of the committee itself is also important, as are
terms.  Since the point of the committee is stability, I think that a
3 year term seems reasonable.  Using your suggestion for a six person
committee,  two of them up for renewal every year.  I do not think
that the IETF NomCom is the right way to find committee members --
you do not suggest that it is.  However, I think it is important that
member selection is confirmed by the IAB.

I believe that the committee can provide a quick review of decisions
made by the RSE when such a decision is challenged.  My hope is that
the advice offered by such a review can resolve most concerns, and
the ones that it does not resolve can be appealed to the IAB.

Finally, I really do not like the proposed name.  I prefer something
with "Advisory" in it.  Perhaps "RFC Series Advisory Group".

Thanks for all of the work you are putting into this effort,
   Russ