[rfc-i] re-rolling the RFCs0001-0500.tar.gz tarballs

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Mar 19 12:21:53 PDT 2009

Peter Hessler wrote:
> Hello, I am working on creating a package of the RFCs for offline
> reading.  However, I noticed that all of the tarballs are re-generated
> every week, so the checksums change.  The port framework I use verifies
> that the source tarball matches a registered checksum, so this will fail.
>
> Is there a reason why the RFCs0001-0500.tar.gz tarballs change checksum?
> Shouldn't they be static once filled?

It was an algorithmic decision taken a long time ago... presumably it
seemed safer to regenerate the
tarballs each time, in case a bit got lost on disk.  But we take your
point, and will consider it the next
time those scripts are revisited.

Thanks for the suggestion.

RFC Editor/bb