[rfc-i] Section Ordering in RFCs (Abstract Placement)

Ray Pelletier rpelletier at isoc.org
Fri Jul 3 04:09:55 PDT 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 4:21 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> RFC Editor wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>> The recent changes to the copyright for RFCs (RFC 5378), and the
>> changes that will be required when
>> draft-iab-streams-headers-boilerplates-08.txt is published, often
>> result in the abstract not appearing on the front page of the RFC.
>> We concur with the IETF-list comments that expressed a desire to
>> keep the abstract on the front page of the RFC.  For this reason, the
>> RFC Editor recommends the following section order as the initial
>> contents of an RFC.  RFC header/Author information
>> RFC Title
>> Abstract
>> Status of this Memo
>> [IESG Note - when required]
>> Copyright The RFC Editor will implement this change as of 1 July
>> 2009.
>> We will make requests with the appropriate individuals for the
>> templates and tools to be updated accordingly.  However, we will
>> reorder the sections manually during the final publication stage
>> until
>> the updated tools are available.
>> Thank you.
>> RFC Editor
>
> Did you consider that this change makes it much more likely that the
> Copyright information will not be on the front page anymore, which
> would be in violation of <http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf
> >, Point 6:
>
> "6. Text To Be Included in IETF Documents. The following text must
> be included on the first page of each IETF Document as specified
> below:"

Note that the proposed changes to the TLP include this change at 6:

6.	Text To Be Included in IETF Documents.  The following text must be
included in each IETF Document  as specified below.  The IESG shall
specify the manner and location of such text for Internet-Drafts.  The
RFC Editor shall specify the manner and location of such text for
RFCs.  The copyright notice specified in 6.b below shall be placed so
as to give reasonable notice of the claim of copyright.

The proposed TLP can be found at: http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html
  under Draft Policies and Procedures for IETF Documents.

Ray