[rfc-i] Section Ordering in RFCs (Abstract Placement)

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Jul 3 01:21:33 PDT 2009

RFC Editor wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> The recent changes to the copyright for RFCs (RFC 5378), and the
> changes that will be required when
> draft-iab-streams-headers-boilerplates-08.txt is published, often
> result in the abstract not appearing on the front page of the RFC.
> We concur with the IETF-list comments that expressed a desire to
> keep the abstract on the front page of the RFC.  For this reason, the
> RFC Editor recommends the following section order as the initial
> contents of an RFC.
>
> RFC header/Author information
> RFC Title
> Abstract
> Status of this Memo
> [IESG Note - when required]
> Copyright
>
> The RFC Editor will implement this change as of 1 July 2009.
>
> We will make requests with the appropriate individuals for the
> templates and tools to be updated accordingly.  However, we will
> reorder the sections manually during the final publication stage until
> the updated tools are available.
>
> Thank you.
>
> RFC Editor

Did you consider that this change makes it much more likely that the
Copyright information will not be on the front page anymore, which would
be in violation of
<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-License-Policy.pdf>, Point 6:

"6. Text To Be Included in IETF Documents. The following text must be
included on the first page of each IETF Document as specified below:"

BR, Julian