[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model: RSE Responsibilities

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Jan 20 08:20:27 PST 2009

> Our notes crossed in the net.  I'd also be happy with "exercise
> executive-level management".  I completely agree that the RFC Series
> Editor must have both technical and management skills.

WFM...

To capture state, these are the edits that I received and that I plan
to incorporate into the draft shortly:

<DRAFT>
3.  RFC Editor Model

   The RFC Editor model divides the responsibilities for the RFC Series
   into the following components:

   o  RFC Series Editor

   o  Independent Submission Editor

   o  RFC Production Center

   o  RFC Publisher

   The RFC Series Production and Process under this structure is
   schematically represented by the figure below.

   [RFC MODEL PICTURE]

NEW:
In this model the RFC Series Editor will exercise executive-level
management over many of the activities of the RFC Publisher and the
RFC Production Center (which can be seen as back office functions) and
will be the entity that faces the community, and works with the IAB
and IAOC for procedural and contractual responsibilities respectively
while those entities maintain their chartered responsibility.

If during the execution of their activities, a dispute arises over a
(policy) decision made by one of the four entities in the model, then
the party having the conflict should first request a  reconsideration
of the decision.  If that reconsideration is not  satisfactory to the
party, then the matter can be brought to the RFC Series Editor for a
decision.  If the RFC Series Editor decision is not satisfactory, the
matter can be brought to the IAB, whose decision will be binding.. If
the dispute is with the RFC Series Editor then there are only two
stages: reconsideration and the IAB consideration.

3.1.  RFC Series Editor

  The RFC Series Editor, or Series Editor for short, is an individual
  who may have assistants and who is responsible for:

  1.  Identifying appropriate steps for RFC Series continuity

NEW:
  2.  Exercise executive-level management over the implementation of
      policies, processes and procedures established to ensure the
      quality and consistency fo the RFC Series.
      The RFC Series Editor will work with the IAB and IAOC to develop
new
      policy and see that contractual agreements are met.
NEW:
  3.  Taking proposed changes to the community, and work with the IAB
so that
      the IAB can ensure that there is sufficient community review
before
      the policy is adopted.

MODIFIED:
  4.  Coordinating with IAB and/or IAOC, and together with the IAB and/
or IAOC
      participating in reviews of the RFC Publisher, RFC Publication
Center, and
      Independent Stream Editor functions to ensure the above
mentioned continuity

  5.  Developing, maintaining, and publishing the RFC Style Manual
      publication for use by authors, editors, and the RFC publisher

  6.  Managing the RFC errata process

  7.  Liaising with the IAB

  8.  Overseeing consistency of RFCs with the RFC Series and RFC Style
      Manual

</DRAFT>