[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model: RSE Responsibilities

Ray Pelletier rpelletier at isoc.org
Tue Jan 20 07:58:05 PST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Russ Housley wrote:

>> of  authority.

>>> Let me stress that my intention is to comprehensively word just what
>>> you sketch below. I came up with the word coordinate as it suggest a
>>> more active role (feet in the mud) while IMHO oversee takes more
>>> distance. I think there is a huge overlap between oversee and
>>> coordinate in this context.
>>
>> I agree with Brian that "coordinate" is not the right word, though I
>> don't think "oversee" is it either.  I think the RSE needs to
>> actively
>> manage the implementation of production and publishing.  I think the
>> word we want to describe it is in fact "manage".   From
>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manage
>>  :
>>
>>    1: to handle or direct with a degree of skill: as a: to make and
>> keep compliant <can't manage their child> b: to treat with care :
>> husband <managed his resources carefully> c: to exercise executive,
>> administrative, and supervisory direction of <manage a business>
>> <manage a bond issue> <manage a baseball team>
>

> This does not seem like the right word to me given the other text
> that was added:
>
> ! In this model the RFC Series Editor will coordinate many of the
> activities of the
> ! RFC Publisher and the RFC Production Center (which can be seen as
> ! back office functions) and will be the entity that faces the
> community, and
> ! works with the IAB and IAOC for procedural and contractual
> responsibilities
> ! respectively while those entities maintain their chartered
> responsibility.
>
> I suspect that "coordinate" is used in both places to show
> linkage.  So, the RFC Series Editor is the executive in charge of the
> RFC Publisher and the RFC Production Center, but there may be
> managers and supervisors in the chain between.
>
> Does "organize" capture this distinction?

I would note that the RFC Production Center and RFC Publisher have
this Accountability provision in their respective SOWs:

ACCOUNTABILITY

   1.  The RPC/Publisher is responsible for compliance with policies,
processes and procedures as they relate to the consistency of the RFC
series.

   2.  The RPC/Publisher is primarily responsible to the RFC Series
Editor as regards to RFC series consistency.

   3.  The RFC Series Editor may refer matters involving RPC/Publisher
compliance to the policies, processes and procedures to the IAOC.

Ray