[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model: RSE Responsibilities

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at nokia.com
Tue Jan 20 07:12:43 PST 2009

Ray,

>>    From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manage
>> :
>>
>>   1: to handle or direct with a degree of skill: as a: to make and
>> keep compliant <can't manage their child> b: to treat with care :
>> husband <managed his resources carefully> c: to exercise executive,
>> administrative, and supervisory direction of <manage a business>
>> <manage a bond issue> <manage a baseball team>
>
> When I hear manage, I hear make assignments of work, prioritize
> work, tell them not only what to do, but how to do it.
>
> Is that what you mean?

I meant the key items included in the definition, especially:

   to handle or direct with a degree of skill
   to treat with care
   to make and keep compliant
   to exercise executive, administrative, and supervisory direction of

I understand why this would want to be at a higher, say executive
level, and not on day to day management.  But I think the RSE has to
have the ability to manage.

Bob