[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model: RSE Responsibilities

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at nokia.com
Mon Jan 19 15:02:17 PST 2009

Olaf,

>> contracts from the IASA/IAOC/IAD. But I believe the series Editor
>> needs
>> to be be empowered to do more than 'coordinate' the implementation of
>> production and publishing. He or she needs to be in a position of
>> authority.
>> ("You didn't apply Rule 37 to this RFC. Why not? Please fix it!")
>> That
>> authority can be delegated from the IAD, of course. But IMHO the
>> Editor
>> should be *in* the management chain, not off to one side attempting
>> 'coordinate' it with a long stick.
>>
>> s/Coordinates/Oversees/ would be enough to fix this at the level of
>> the
>> model.
>

> Let me stress that my intention is to comprehensively word just what
> you sketch below. I came up with the word coordinate as it suggest a
> more active role (feet in the mud) while IMHO oversee takes more
> distance. I think there is a huge overlap between oversee and
> coordinate in this context.

I agree with Brian that "coordinate" is not the right word, though I
don't think "oversee" is it either.  I think the RSE needs to actively
manage the implementation of production and publishing.  I think the
word we want to describe it is in fact "manage".   From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manage
  :

    1: to handle or direct with a degree of skill: as a: to make and
keep compliant <can't manage their child> b: to treat with care :
husband <managed his resources carefully> c: to exercise executive,
administrative, and supervisory direction of <manage a business>
<manage a bond issue> <manage a baseball team>

Bob