[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model: RSE Responsibilities

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Jan 19 13:06:10 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Olaf,
>
> Thanks for this. I think it goes very much in the right direction.
> However,
> let me comment on one word:
>
>> NEW:
>> 2.  Coordinates the implementation of policies, processes and
>> procedures
>>     established to ensure the quality and consistency fo the RFC
>> Series.
>>     The Series Editor will work with the IAB and IAOC to develop new
>>     policy and see that contractual agreements are met.
>
> This goes back to my comment about the RFI draft that the RSE needs
> to have
> adequate managerial control over the production and publishing
> contractors.
> I would be the last person to suggest removing the formal
> responsibility for
> contracts from the IASA/IAOC/IAD. But I believe the series Editor
> needs
> to be be empowered to do more than 'coordinate' the implementation of
> production and publishing. He or she needs to be in a position of
> authority.
> ("You didn't apply Rule 37 to this RFC. Why not? Please fix it!") That
> authority can be delegated from the IAD, of course. But IMHO the
> Editor
> should be *in* the management chain, not off to one side attempting to
> 'coordinate' it with a long stick.
>
> s/Coordinates/Oversees/ would be enough to fix this at the level of
> the
> model.

Let me stress that my intention is to comprehensively word just what
you sketch below. I came up with the word coordinate as it suggest a
more active role (feet in the mud) while IMHO oversee takes more
distance. I think there is a huge overlap between oversee and
coordinate in this context.

--Olaf

                                        Science Park 140,

NB: The street at which our offices are located has been
renamed to the above.