[rfc-i] RFC Editor Model: RSE Responsibilities

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:29:03 PST 2009

Olaf,

Thanks for this. I think it goes very much in the right direction. However,
let me comment on one word:

> NEW:
>  2.  Coordinates the implementation of policies, processes and procedures
>      established to ensure the quality and consistency fo the RFC Series.
>      The Series Editor will work with the IAB and IAOC to develop new
>      policy and see that contractual agreements are met.

This goes back to my comment about the RFI draft that the RSE needs to have
adequate managerial control over the production and publishing contractors.
I would be the last person to suggest removing the formal responsibility for
contracts from the IASA/IAOC/IAD. But I believe the series Editor needs
to be be empowered to do more than 'coordinate' the implementation of
production and publishing. He or she needs to be in a position of authority.
("You didn't apply Rule 37 to this RFC. Why not? Please fix it!") That
authority can be delegated from the IAD, of course. But IMHO the Editor
should be *in* the management chain, not off to one side attempting to
'coordinate' it with a long stick.

s/Coordinates/Oversees/ would be enough to fix this at the level of the
model.

    Brian