[rfc-i] Fwd: Comment on headers-and-boilerplates

John C Klensin john+rfc at jck.com
Thu Jan 8 10:59:10 PST 2009

--On Thursday, January 08, 2009 10:35 -0800 Joe Touch
<touch at ISI.EDU> wrote:

>>> 3) Does the boilerplate explicitly note that non-IETF
>>> documents are not the product of the IETF?
>> I think that 2 and 3 can both be handled in one simple
>> sentence  without being condescending.
>
> My concern, and my view, is that #3 is implicitly
> condescending; saying so implies that being a product of the
> IETF carries enough weight to concern those who read
> non-products.
>
> Overall, AFAICT, stating the positive is sufficient in all
> cases. I understand why stating the negative about standards
> might be useful, but all others are unwarranted.

While I am trying to keep an open mind about this, I agree with
Joe that positive statements are likely to be a lot easier to
get right than ones that specify "not an IETF spec" without, at
the same time, implying that anything that is not is somehow
inferior or defective.

    john