[rfc-i] RFC formatting: where to put the clauses defined in Section6 of "Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents"

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Feb 24 21:38:18 PST 2009

At 21:27 09/02/24, Julian Reschke wrote:
>Hi,
>
>"Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents"
>(<http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions-Clean-2-12-09.pdf>)
>defines a set of rules about the front matter of all IETF documents,
>which includes RFCs (it does, right?)
>
>Section 6.c talks about "Derivative Works and Publication Limitations":

>"iii. If an IETF Contribution contains pre-5378 Material as to which the
>IETF Trust has not been granted, or may not have been granted, the
>necessary permissions to allow modification of such pre-5378 Material
>outside the IETF Standards Process:
>
>This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
>Contributions published or made publicly available before November 10,
>2008. The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this material
>may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow modifications of
>such material outside the IETF Standards Process. Without obtaining an
>adequate license from the person(s) controlling the copyright in such
>materials, this document may not be modified outside
>the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may not be
>created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format it for
>publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages
>other than English."
>
>Question 2: Does this text get included in the published RFC?

I'm not in anyway responsible for this, but it seems to be clear
that the text also has to go into the published RFC. Taking the
text out would be a clear copyright violation. There may of course
be some cases where the relevant authors/editors, between submitting
their last Internet-Draft and the publication of the RFC, have been
able to make sure that this specific disclaimer is no longer needed,
but my guess is that such cases will be few, and that in that case,
it will be easier to publish another Internet Draft without this
disclaimer.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp