[rfc-i] Writeup on RFC Editor Function available

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Feb 19 14:23:30 PST 2009

The RFC Editor would like to call to your attention a document that we
have posted on our web site: "The RFC Editor at ISI".
http://www.rfc-editor.org/RFCeditor.at.ISI.pdf.

This document is based upon, and incorporates, much of the text of ISI's
proposal to the Internet Society in 2006.  We updated and supplemented
the information a bit, and of course removed all contractual and
budgetary information.  To some extent, it presents the collected wisdom
about the RFC Editor process that we have accumulated at ISI.

We believe this document should be of interest to any person or group
that proposes to bid on the next RFC Editor contract.  Even if a future
RFC Editor takes new directions, many of the issues and complexities
described in this document will still hold It was in part inspired by an
inquiry from Paul Hoffman for data on editing times, for example.

We hope this document will contribute to success of the RFC Editor after
2009.

Bob Braden
Sandy Ginoza
Alice Hagens