[rfc-i] draft-iab-streams-headers-boilerplates-06 : overlooked details?

John C Klensin john+rfc at jck.com
Sun Feb 1 13:53:02 PST 2009

--On Sunday, February 01, 2009 22:46 +0100 Olaf Kolkman
<olaf at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2009, at 5:29 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
> [...]
>
> Now I get your point.
>
>> Consequently, accepting your definition of "done" as "I/we
>> don't want to mess with it any more", I believe that the IAB
>> should do one of two things at this stage:
>>
>> (1) Put it aside until all of the various external ducks are
>> lined up, then hand it off to the RFC Editor (with an
>> additional community review if you think it necessary because
>> of changes that have been proposed in the interim).

> The above seems to be in line with what I was thinking off.

Ok.  Just to close this loop, I have no problem with that at
all.  I was confused by your saying things several times that
sounded like "declare it done, hand it off to the RFC Editor,
and then maybe fix it somewhere in the editing process".

I think there are still some substantive issues with the
document and/or its surroundings, but, while my previous note
addressed some of the design principles, involved Julian and Joe
are more able to discuss the details from the standpoint of the
tool-builders and maintainers.  Whether it is seen as part of
this document or not, I would strongly encourage the IAB to make
sure that someone takes responsibility for getting the details
they need (and even those of us who occasionally still do an I-D
directly in formatted ASCII with emacs) nailed down before this
document is submitted for publication.

    john