[rfc-i] Using LaTeX & BibTeX to cite RFCs

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Aug 31 01:28:34 PDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Bob Braden wrote:

> Joe Touch wrote:
>>
>> The "publisher" is the ISOC, at least for the later RFCs. Even for
>> older
>> RFCs that predate ISOC involvement, the ISOC is the basis for making
>> them available (even the Independent stream) and is thus the
>> publisher
>> at least in a sort.
>>
>> I would never say the publisher was the RFC Editor - that's the
>> editor,
>> not the publisher.
>>
>> Joe
>>
> Joe,
>
> the RFC Editor web site says "[The RFC Editor is] funded by the
> Internet Society to edit and publish RFCs." Jon published the RFCs,
> and
> the RFC Editor at ISI has continued to do so.  Only in the new regime
> after Dec 2009 will editing and publishing be divorced (but not
> really,
> as it turns out).  Even then, I expect the collection of functions
> that
> include RFC publication to continue to be called loosely "the RFC
> Editor".

ACK, and FWIW,  RFC 5620 actually tries to clarify the difference the
function and the organizational components in its introduction:

    Note that RFC 4844 uses the term "RFC Editor function" or "RFC
    Editor" as the collective set of responsibilities for which this
memo
    provides a model for internal organization.  This memo introduces
the
    term "RFC Series Editor" or "Series Editor" for one of the
    organizational components.

--Olaf

                                        Science Park 140,