[rfc-i] Using LaTeX & BibTeX to cite RFCs

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 31 01:12:06 PDT 2009

Joe Touch wrote:
> The "publisher" is the ISOC, at least for the later RFCs. Even for older
> RFCs that predate ISOC involvement, the ISOC is the basis for making
> them available (even the Independent stream) and is thus the publisher
> at least in a sort.
> I would never say the publisher was the RFC Editor - that's the editor,
> not the publisher.
> Joe

 the RFC Editor web site says "[The RFC Editor is] funded by the
Internet Society to edit and publish RFCs." Jon published the RFCs, and
the RFC Editor at ISI has continued to do so.  Only in the new regime
after Dec 2009 will editing and publishing be divorced (but not really,
as it turns out).  Even then, I expect the collection of functions that
include RFC publication to continue to be called loosely "the RFC Editor".

Bob Braden