[rfc-i] In defence of the ISSN number

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Aug 28 15:51:47 PDT 2009

At 9:55 AM +1200 8/29/09, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>One of my concerns, perhaps parochial now that I'm officially an
>academic, is that RFCs should be considered as respectable
>publications. I think that the ability to include the ISSN in
>the citation is useful from that point of view. (Full citations
>of journal articles should include the ISSN number, too.)

Before we encourage people to use the ISSN number with the RFC Series, it would be important to know whether or not it is acceptable to associate an ISSN number with something that was published before the ISSN number was issued (which in our case is everything more than about a year old). Yes, this is pedantic, but the ISSN folks may be more pendantic than we are.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium