[rfc-i] Using LaTeX & BibTeX to cite RFCs

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Fri Aug 28 14:10:49 PDT 2009

On  28 Aug 2009, at 16:42, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> For many publications in our area, the ACM or CCR
> class files are common, and I would certainly want any
> recommended BibTeX template to produce a good result with
> those class files.

Also true for the IEEEtran class files, of course,
which are also widely used in our area.

My short PDF that started this thread shows that the
"institution" field is a field that would always
show up when @techreport{} is used, but not always with
@misc{}.  [Hence, my recent interest in what that particular
field's value(s) ought to be.]

I'm not sure if I'll get the time, but if I do, I'll try
to expand my example around the @article{} format for RFCs
that someone recently shared with me.  My own short LaTeX
source and BibTeX source for the example PDF are at the URL
I mentioned before, which enables folks to run their own
experiments and compare results.

If there were harmonious convergence at some future point,
then one imagines that an XML->BibTeX script could be created
to make it easier for interested folks to generate suitable
BibTeX dynamically from the XML version of RFC-Index.

Cheers,

Ran