[rfc-i] Using LaTeX & BibTeX to cite RFCs

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Fri Aug 28 08:15:23 PDT 2009

Earlier, hgs wrote:
% (I personally use IETF, as that's most likely to be recognized,
% and, if googled, likely to point towards a generally useful
direction.)

While this might be fine for RFCs that really are IETF products,
the IETF community has been trying for many years now to make
clear that "Not all RFCs were the product of the IETF" and also
"Not all RFCs are IETF standards-track documents."

So my preference would be to avoid listing "IETF" as publisher
at least for non-IETF-origin RFCs, in the interest of avoiding
accidentally creating or perpetuating confusion about RFCs.

For some legacy RFCs, it can be difficult to discern whether
they were IETF products or not.  For recent RFCs, it might be
clear which are "IETF", "IRTF", "IAB", or "Individual Submission".

Cheers,

Ran Atkinson
rja at extremenetworks.com