[rfc-i] Using LaTeX & BibTeX to cite RFCs

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Fri Aug 28 08:06:09 PDT 2009

On  27 Aug 2009, at 21:42, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> We don't have the 'stream of origin' info for older RFCs, and we don't
> even have a status for many of them. I don't think we want to see
> 'Legacy, Unknown' in the citations, even if you see them in the index.

I agree with respect to the older RFCs.

> As far as this info does exist, it could certainly be embedded in the
> full BibTeX citation, but I don't think most journal editors would
> want
> it in the final citation.

Also, the status of a particular RFC might well change over time.
For example, there is a long standing pattern whereby some RFCs
move to "Historic" status over time.  I believe that other examples
of status reclassification exist, at least in theory, even if not
frequently.

I am reluctant to list possibly transient information, such as status,
in an archival publication (e.g. magazine article, conference
proceeding,
or journal).

> The publisher, over many years, has been the RFC Editor. For general
> citations, if we need to indicate a publisher, I'd go for that,
> associated with the ISSN.

That would seem to imply using an "Institution" value of "RFC Editor"
in BIB entries for RFCs.

Cheers,

Ran Atkinson
rja at extremenetworks.com