[rfc-i] Using LaTeX & BibTeX to cite RFCs

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 28 05:34:43 PDT 2009

Just a side note: I have never seen a citation in an IEEE or ACM
publication that uses ISSN for anything, so this would be a bit odd. I
would suggest taking a look at ACM and IEEE networking publications to
see what's customary. The appropriate citation format may differ for
different types of publications. For example, in a networking
conference, one can assume that readers have heard of RFCs and will
only need minimal information, similar to format [2] in the PDF link
below. (I personally use IETF, as that's most likely to be recognized,
and, if googled, likely to point towards a generally useful direction.)

In a sociology journal, this will likely be insufficient, and it might
be best to provide a URL, maybe the ISSN (if this is customary), a
spelled out version of the IETF, as in

Carpenter, B. "Architectural Principles", RFC 1958, published by the
Internet Society on behalf of the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF), June 1996 (http://www.rfc-editor.org/...).

Henning