[rfc-i] RFC Index Files Updates -- XML and HTML

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Tue Aug 18 08:24:37 PDT 2009

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> Is there any reason not to add the stream info to the .txt version
> of the index?
>
> Regards
>    Brian

Brian,

This is the result of a 10-year old policy at the RFC Editor. After
Joyce and I took over the job, the desire arose to add additional fields
to rfc-index.txt. However, input from various people in the community
convinced us that a fair number of hard-core Internauts had written
their own code to parse the obscure syntax of rfc-index.txt and reformat
it for their own purposes.  We feared that adding new fields to
rfc-index.txt would screw these people.  We therefore decided to freeze
the format of rfc-index.txt at the 1989 level, and instead make an html
version (and later an xml version) with extended fields.  So all changes
or extensions to the index format go only into the .xml and .html versions.

Now that XML has taken over the world, maybe this policy should be
revisited.

Bob Braden