[rfc-i] Copyrights and the IRTF and Independent Stream

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 21:23:49 PDT 2009

On 2009-08-17 08:51, SM wrote:
> Hi Joel,
> At 12:07 16-08-2009, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>> Actually, if you go read the Trust agreement, rather than the IETF
>> document about how the
>
> I have read the Trust agreement.
>
>>  IETF looks at the trust (the agreement is at their web site) you
>> will see that there is provision for the trust to handle more than
>> just the IETF.
>> As I read the agreement, the IETF documents are an example of what
>> the trust can handle, not a restriction.
>
> I already mentioned that my claim which was based on Section 1.1 of
> RFC 4748 could be debunked.

That's simply irrelevant to whether the Trust can do things that
are allowed by its Purpose as defined in the Trust Agreement but which
are outside the scope of what the IETF has asked it to do. Of course
it can.

> I chose to comment on the non-legal
> aspects.

But as far as doing what the community decides it wants, the only
issue that I can see is whether the Trust Agreement prevents this,
which it clearly doesn't. If the non-IETF streams voluntarily
choose to ask the Trust to act for them in a certain way, and that
way is compatible with the Trust Agreement, we're OK, IMHO

   Brian

You may view my arguments as weak given that they are not