[rfc-i] Copyrights and the IRTF and Independent Stream

SM sm at resistor.net
Sun Aug 16 13:51:22 PDT 2009

Hi Joel,
At 12:07 16-08-2009, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>Actually, if you go read the Trust agreement, rather than the IETF
>document about how the

I have read the Trust agreement.

>  IETF looks at the trust (the agreement is at their web site) you
> will see that there is provision for the trust to handle more than
> just the IETF.
>As I read the agreement, the IETF documents are an example of what
>the trust can handle, not a restriction.

I already mentioned that my claim which was based on Section 1.1 of
RFC 4748 could be debunked.  I chose to comment on the non-legal
aspects.  You may view my arguments as weak given that they are not
based on the IETF Trust agreement and/or a correct interpretation
(from an IETF perspective) of the IETF documents.  There is a fine
line between what one can do and what one will do.  I'll conclude
this message with a quote from John Masefield:

   "Well sir," said old Fairford, "they're English. And my experience with the
    English is that you can get them to do anything if you put it to
them right.
    The trouble with the English is they try all the wrong ways first."

                               The Bird of Dawning

Regards,
-sm