[rfc-i] Copyrights and the IRTF and Independent Stream

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Aug 13 14:52:29 PDT 2009

On 13 aug 2009, at 23:16, Leslie Daigle wrote:

> In the case of the IETF stream, it's quite clear -- open usage of the
> RFCs, and no right to end-run the IETF process.   Is there as clear a
> sentiment in Independent, IAB or IRTF streams?  If yes, is it the IETF
> process (only) that should not be end-run, or also the stream's?

I believe, but it is a good point to make explicit that, from what I
gathered from the RFC editor, the IRTF chair, and the IAB, that the
non-IETF streams have the same requirements:

Full permission to create derivative works (with attribution) in most
cases or, in rare cases, no derivative at all. As far as I know nobody
has raised end-run concerns with the non-IETF stream.

--Olaf

PS: Note that the earlier message was posted to the IRSG list, the RFC
interest list and the IETF list in the hope to catch the attention of
the stakeholders of all the streams.