[rfc-i] Copyrights and the IRTF and Independent Stream

Leslie Daigle leslie at thinkingcat.com
Thu Aug 13 14:16:19 PDT 2009

While I can infer one or several implications from the nicely detailed
message below, I find I walk away without an understanding of:  what is
the desired usage of Independent (or IRTF or IAB) RFCs; what is the
*undesired* usage of them?  I.e., absent a clear target, it seems hard
to really evaluate an appropriate copyright vehicle (whether it's driven
by or for the Trust or not).

In the case of the IETF stream, it's quite clear -- open usage of the
RFCs, and no right to end-run the IETF process.   Is there as clear a
sentiment in Independent, IAB or IRTF streams?  If yes, is it the IETF
process (only) that should not be end-run, or also the stream's?

Leslie.

Olaf Kolkman wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> This mail is about rights in RFCs and Internet drafts. The topic draws
> context, and uses terminology from:
> RFC 4844: The RFC Series and RFC Editor
> RFC 4846: Independent Submissions to the RFC Editor
> RFC 5378: Rights Contributors Provide to the IETF Trust
> RFC 5377: Advice to the Trustees of the IETF Trust on Rights to Be
> Granted in IETF Documents
>
> First some administrational notes.
>
> This mail serves as setting a baseline for a public discussion and is
> based on a few (virtual and real-life) hallway discussions. The goal
> of this discussion is to make sure all issues are brought to the table
> and the stream maintainers and the Trust are aware of the communities
> opinions. I see my role as an IAB member that is driving the
> discussion, and mildly moderating it. In the end it is the role of the
> IAB to see that an appropriate stream dependent process has been
> followed and that the streams do not interact inapropriatly. So in
> that sense this discussion informs the IAB too.
>
> Although this mail is sent to multiple lists I would like to urge folk
> to discuss the issues on the rfc-interest list:
>

> Without further ado.
>
> As you may know RFCs are published from different streams. With
> respect to the incoming and outgoing rights only the rights of the
> IETF stream documents are well defined. And currently the IAB has
> chosen to have IAB documents fall under this regime too. The situation
> is less clear for Independent and IRTF Stream documents: all existing
> provisions are targeted specifically towards IETF Contributions (in
> the narrow context defined by RFC5378). Besides, currently and in the
> context of copyrights, Internet Drafts (I-Ds) are seen as IETF
> contributions.
>
> Maintainers of the Independent and IRTF stream would like to have
> documents from their streams published with full rights to make
> derivative works or make no derivative works whatsoever, and require
> attribution in both cases.
>
> There are two strategies to make this work:
>
> 1. Allow I-Ds and RFCs for the IAB, IRTF, and Independent stream to be
> published with a Creative Commons license added.
>
> A rough outline of one of the ideas that is floating around ist that
> all contributions that are intended to become an RFC or are an IETF
> contribution (in the sense of RFC 5378 definition) will continue to
> have the 5378 license terms as defined by the trust. Since 5378 is
> non-exclusive authors may add a creative commons license if they'd
> like to. Care should be taken that those licenses would not be applied
> to IETF contributions, as that could lead to 'spoofed standard-track
> RFCs'
>
> 2. Have the trust manage the rights for the IAB, IRTF, and Independent
> streams RFCs and I-Ds.
>
> Both strategies may require that at the moment Internet Drafts is
> published as an RFC it is clear on which stream they are intended to
> [...]

"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle