[rfc-i] New version: draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-04.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sun Aug 2 00:48:43 PDT 2009

Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> directories.
>>

>> 	Title		: Using non-ASCII Characters in RFCs
>> 	Author(s)	: T. Bray, P. Hoffman
>> 	Filename	: draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-04.txt
>> 	Pages		: 9
>> 	Date		: 2008-11-3
>>
>> This document specifies a change to the IETF process in which
>>   Internet Drafts and RFCs are allowed to contain non-ASCII characters.
>>   The proposed change is to change the encoding of Internet Drafts and
>>   RFCs to UTF-8.
>>
>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-04.txt
>
> We have incorporated many changes from the last round of discussion.
>
> Earlier, people asked to see how this draft would look if it actually had UTF-8 in it. I put it on a web site, but people argued about how the content-type and character set affected how they saw it. This time, I'm attaching the UTF-8ized version to this message in a way that I'm 99% sure will be have

A few remarks:

(1) In the meantime there is a newer version
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-05>)

(2) In the URI/IRI Bar Bof last week, it became painfully clear that the
ability to use just a few non-ASCII characters would make reading a spec
that is about I18N *much* more easy (see, for instance,
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-06#page-16>)

BR, Julian