[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:04:14 PDT 2009

Brian,

On Apr 18, 2009, at 10:08 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> If the IAB and the IAOC cannot work in unison, there's a bigger
>> problem.  Hiding under the veil of confidentiality won't make the
>> problems go away.
>
> As a historical note, the IAOC came into existence at a time
> when the major (indeed, overwhelming) concern was the future of
> the Secretariat, which was much more of an IESG concern. As far
> as there were concerns about the RFC Editor, they were mainly
> operational (backlog, contract conditions) and not issues of
> principle like we're now discussing. So there wasn't any real
> need for IAOC-IAB dialogue and it didn't become part of the
> IAOC ethos.
>
> Obviously, that needs to change, and quickly, going by
> what John says.

 From my point of view, there is a lot of IAB/IAOC dialog via the IAB
chair.  I am not sure what problem John is referring to.  Of course, I
don't know what is said at IAB meetings.  The RFC editor restructuring
activity is a very active topic in the IAOC, especially the
consequences of not having contracts in place in the fall.

Other than normal operations and continued worry about revenue, this
is the biggest thing we have on our plate.

Bob