[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Sat Apr 18 13:58:17 PDT 2009

>>>         (iii) There are plausible people who would be willing
>>>         to be candidates for the RSE role, but only if they
>>>         know the "stipend"  or other compensation
>>>         arrangements in advance or understand the terms and
>>>         conditions under which such an arrangement might be
>>>         negotiated.
>>
>> If you want a person who can take on the initial RSE role, you
>> have to talk about compensation instead of expecting them to
>> step forward.
>
>Again, we agree.   And I think it may actually have to be
>"compensation".  In the words of many job descriptions, that
>means "commensurate with salary history and experience", i.e.,
>comparable to what the person would make doing something else,
>including both salary and benefits/overhead expenses.  The IASA
>should not expect that someone with the right level of
>experience (remember "executive management"?) will take on a
>difficult, time-consuming, and inevitably stressful as a gift to
>the community in return for, e.g., travel expenses and a nominal
>stipend.   We might get lucky. Someone might turn up who had the
>needed skills and experience and who had other sources of
>support or no need for external support.  But I think planning
>for that is not only like wishing for the proverbial pony, but
>could so limit the choices of possible RSEs as to leave us with
>no options or only poor ones.
>
>In order to be a little bit more concrete about this (and at the
>risk of being even more blunt than usual), based on the Model
>document and related public discussions, a realistic job
>description for the RSE is going to require a set of skills that
>are much more specific and harder to find than those required
>for, e.g., an association administrator or executive.
>Consequently, it may require a higher level of compensation to
>fill the position.  Again, we might get lucky, but...

There's an additional risk under "lucky."  One might find a senior
person whose employer views it as useful to have the RSE on the employer's
salary, and thus offers a person for the RSE role at a sharp discount.

There are obvious dangers of capture  (e.g. consider Cisco, Juniper
and Huawei and suppose that one of them employed the RSE editor -- how
would the other 2 feel?  How would the IETF feel)?

Also, keep in mind that any compentent consultant charges not just
their salary but their overhead expenses of an office, health insurance,
etc., in their rate.

Thanks!

Craig