[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Leslie Daigle leslie at thinkingcat.com
Mon Apr 13 08:48:49 PDT 2009

Lots of interesting discussion in the thread that I'd like to let gel
before commenting (if at all), but one particular point I'd like to
drill down on:

 > But really my bottom line is one sentence in Leslie's draft:
 >
 > "The RSAG is chartered by the IAB."
 >
 > Not if it advises the RSE. If it advises the RSE, the RSAG has to be
 > chartered  by the RSE. If I was the RSE (which I faithfully promise
 > will never happen), I would not accept the existence of an advisory
 > group which I didn't charter and which didn't report to me.

As a different example, the IRTF (and by extension, the IRSG) are
chartered by the IAB.  Nevertheless, the IRSG is populated by the IRTF
Chair, and I'm quite clear that the IRSG advises the IRTF Chair, not the
IAB.

The point is:  the structure/role of the proposed committee fall under
the IAB's oversight.  It makes sense for the IAB to charter it, and
oversee any process of changing the charter if need be.

Which is NOT to say that the IAB needs to be intimately involved in the
process of selecting its population, which I would think is the part
that would give you heartburn.

Leslie.

"Reality:
      Yours to discover."