[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Russ Housley housley at vigilsec.com
Sat Apr 11 09:45:32 PDT 2009

Ray:

> >   . Name of the committee -- "Framework Committee" meant nothing
> >     to some people.  Proposed "RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG)"
> >     (per Russ' suggestion to rfc-interest)
>
>The 'Advisory Group' name suggests a different governance relationship
>than I think is needed.
>I would consider the group more the RFC Series Oversight Committee
>(RSOC), which I believe
>better suggests its role and responsibilities, and its position vis a
>vis the RFC Series Editor
>and the IAB better.

As a counterpoint, let me say why I suggested the name that I
did.  The IAB is already responsible for the oversight of the RFC
series as a whole, and so it seems to me they are also responsible
for the oversight of the RFC Series Editor.  I think that "Advisory
Group" is more appropriate because the group is intended to help the
RFC Series Editor by offering a broader perspective.  As Leslie said
in here earlier message, "keeping the flame."

I think it is important that the name of this group not be perceived
as moving the oversight responsibility away from the IAB.  Rather,
the group is to advise the RFC Series Editor and also share their
perspective with the IAB as needed.

Ray, I do like the addition that you suggest at having this group
develop job descriptions for appointed positions (these would go to
the IAB as part of their confirmation process) and having this group
develop Statements of Work (SOW) for contracted components (these
would go to the IAOC for the procurement process).  If others agree
with the SOW development, then it is a good idea that an IAOC member
as an ex-officio member to provide an important linkage for the
procurement.  I'm not sure it needs to be the IAOC chair.  I think it
can be the chair or a liaison from the IAOC.

Russ