[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Ray Pelletier rpelletier at isoc.org
Sat Apr 11 09:28:28 PDT 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

> On 11 apr 2009, at 09:39, Ray Pelletier wrote:
>
>> he RSOC would act as the nominating committee in a community
>> selection process
>> to identify and qualify candidates to be the RSE.  The RSOC would
>> make
>> a recommendation
>> to the IAB, which would make the appointment.  The RSOC would also
>> develop with
>> community input and subsequent IAB approval the Statements of Work
>> for
>> each of the
>> RFC Series functional areas, including the RSE, the Independent
>> Submissions Editor, the RFC Production Center and the RFC Publisher.
>>

> Ray,
>
> I am not quite sure I follow you here.
>
> The IAOC is responsible for SOWs and other contractual documents. If
> (and I am not saying it should or shouldn't) this committee were to
> be a nominating committee it seems that it would have to base its
> work based on IAOC input as they set (probably that SOW would be
> based, partly, on recommendations from the committee).

I agree that the IAOC is responsible for issuing RFIs and RFPs,
executing contracts and contract administration, however that need not
mean that the SOWs can't be developed elsewhere, especially by those
who are in a better position from a technical standpoint to do so,
which I believe would be the case into the future.  Of course, the
RSOC would have to go through a community advisory process and perhaps
also update the RFC created from the IAB RFC Editor model, and/or RFC
4844.  And, if membership were as proposed, the RSOC would have
guidance from the IAOC Chair and IAD in putting SOWs together.  The
RSOC, as empowered by the IAB, has the responsibility for the
continuity of the Series.  They are looking at all the moving parts
and seeing that they are working together in an effective and
efficient fashion.  If the parts are not, they should initiate the
processes necessary to effectuate changes in the SOWs and ultimately
in the contracts.

Ray