[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Ray Pelletier rpelletier at isoc.org
Sat Apr 11 00:39:29 PDT 2009

Leslie,

Thanks for the clarifications and progressing this important
governance feature
of the RFC Series.  I would like to give a view from my perspective as
the IAD.

On Apr 10, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Leslie Daigle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following up some discussion in San Francisco, and acknowledging the
> need to send specific text rather than handwaving, here is a specific
> proposal for committee I suggested earlier.
>
> Two particular changes:
>
>   . Name of the committee -- "Framework Committee" meant nothing
>     to some people.  Proposed "RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG)"
>     (per Russ' suggestion to rfc-interest)

The 'Advisory Group' name suggests a different governance relationship
than I think is needed.
I would consider the group more the RFC Series Oversight Committee
(RSOC), which I believe
better suggests its role and responsibilities, and its position vis a
vis the RFC Series Editor
and the IAB better.

>   . Separating initial population of the board from the eventual
>     population of it; using the existing RFC Editor advisory board
>     for the initial population

I think this would change slightly, but more inline

> RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG)
RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC)  (and replace throughout)

> The purpose of the RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG) is to provide
> expert, informed guidance (chiefly, to the RSE) in matters affecting
> the
> RFC Series operation and development.  Such matters include, but are
> not
> limited to, issues in operation of the RFC model components, and
> consideration of additional RFC streams, to give a sense of the
> range of
> topics covered.

The RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) would 'carry the torch' for
the RFC Series.
It would oversee the work of the RSE, who would undertake the day-to-
day responsibilities.
Policies would be adopted by the RSOC.  Initial appeals of RSE actions/
decisions would be
from the RSE to the RSOC and then to the IAB.

> The RSAG is chartered by the IAB.  As such, it operates
> independently of
> the IAB to fulfill that charter,  and provides periodic reports to the
> IAB via the RSE.
Concur

> It is composed of members selected for their
> experience and interest in the RFC Series, to provide consistency and
> constancy of the RFC Series interpretation over time. The committee
> provides guidance
through its decisions
> to the RSE, who in turn addresses immediate
> operational issues or opportunities with the ISE, Production House, or
> Publisher. In cases where  these issues have contractual side-effects
> the RSE provides guidance to the IAD.    The RSAG also serves to
> provide
> advice to the RSE on longer-term, larger-scale developments for the
> RFC
> Series.
> This informs the proposals the RSE takes to the community for
> discussion, and the IAD/IAOC as proposals for implementation.
>
> The RSAG will assist the RSE in identifying and leading community
> discussion of important issues and opportunities facing the RFC
> Series.

The RSE will propose community discussions on important issues and
opportunities
facing the RFC Series to the RSOC for its approval to take to the
community.  The RSOC
might also initiate that discussion with the RSE.

> The IAB retains its oversight role and is responsible for ensuring
> that adequate community discussion has been held on any such
> significant
> topics.
>
> The RSAG does not select or appoint the RSE, or any other component of
> the RFC Editor model, although it acts as an important resource for
> informing any selection process.

The RSOC would act as the nominating committee in a community
selection process
to identify and qualify candidates to be the RSE.  The RSOC would make
a recommendation
to the IAB, which would make the appointment.  The RSOC would also
develop with
community input and subsequent IAB approval the Statements of Work for
each of the
RFC Series functional areas, including the RSE, the Independent
Submissions Editor, the RFC Production Center and the RFC Publisher.

> It is envisioned that the RSAG will be composed of 6 appointed full
> members serving staggered 3 year terms,  plus the RSE.

Change to 7 and include the IAOC Chair since the IAOC will be
responsible for implementing
the model contractually; and the IAD in a non-voting capacity who will
effect and enforce
the contracts.

Ray
IAD