[rfc-i] a possible refinement to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Leslie Daigle leslie at thinkingcat.com
Fri Apr 10 15:17:25 PDT 2009

Hi,

Following up some discussion in San Francisco, and acknowledging the
need to send specific text rather than handwaving, here is a specific
proposal for committee I suggested earlier.

Two particular changes:

     . Name of the committee -- "Framework Committee" meant nothing
       to some people.  Proposed "RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG)"
       (per Russ' suggestion to rfc-interest)

     . Separating initial population of the board from the eventual
       population of it; using the existing RFC Editor advisory board
       for the initial population

RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG)

The purpose of the RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG) is to provide
expert, informed guidance (chiefly, to the RSE) in matters affecting the
RFC Series operation and development.  Such matters include, but are not
limited to, issues in operation of the RFC model components, and
consideration of additional RFC streams, to give a sense of the range of
topics covered.

The RSAG is chartered by the IAB.  As such, it operates independently of
the IAB to fulfill that charter,  and provides periodic reports to the
IAB via the RSE.  It is composed of members selected for their
experience and interest in the RFC Series, to provide consistency and
constancy of the RFC Series interpretation over time. The committee
provides guidance to the RSE, who in turn addresses immediate
operational issues or opportunities with the ISE, Production House, or
Publisher. In cases where  these issues have contractual side-effects
the RSE provides guidance to the IAD.    The RSAG also serves to provide
advice to the RSE on longer-term, larger-scale developments for the RFC
Series.  This informs the proposals the RSE takes to the community for
discussion, and the IAD/IAOC as proposals for implementation.

The RSAG will assist the RSE in identifying and leading community
discussion of important issues and opportunities facing the RFC Series.
  The IAB retains its oversight role and is responsible for ensuring
that adequate community discussion has been held on any such significant
topics.

The RSAG does not select or appoint the RSE, or any other component of
the RFC Editor model, although it acts as an important resource for
informing any selection process.

It is envisioned that the RSAG will be composed of 6 appointed full
members serving staggered 3 year terms,  plus the RSE.  Each RFC stream
will appoint a liaison to the RSAG to provide context specific to their
stream.   The full members will serve at the pleasure of the IAB --
appointed by the IAB, and if necessary, removed by the IAB. The final
selection mechanism for the RSAG is not yet determined, but should
favour selection of members identified by the RSAG and RSE as having
appropriate competence and experience to contribute to the success of
the RSAG. There is no requirement or expectation that RSAG members will
be IAB members.

In order to assist with a smooth transition of the RFC Editor function,
the members of the existing RFC Editor Editorial Board who are willing
to do so are asked to serve as an interim RSAG, effective as of the time
of approval of this document.  Within one year from the time the RFC
Editor function transitions to the new 	model and after consideration of
the operation of the new model in practice, the interim RSAG and RSE
will formulate a recommendation to the IAB about the regular composition
and selection process for the permanent RSAG.

Leslie.

Leslie Daigle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is some text I've been batting around to try to address some of the
> issues that came up on rfc-interest in mid-January, about empowering the
> RFC Series Editor so that they can enforce some level of consistency
> across the pieces of the model, and providing enough support to make
> that real.
>
> Note -- this is my own noodling; if this list things it (or a revision
> of it) makes some sense, we can hope the IAB might take it up ;-)
>
> And I apologize I have not found a way to make it short; I'm sure it
> would be much better if I could.
>

> Comments appreciated.
>
> Context:
>
> The status in draft-iab-rfc-editor today is something like trying to get
> a bunch of work done through individual I-D's and a strong leader -- as
> opposed to doing work in WG with a charter and a chair.  Sometimes it
> works.  The ADs may or may not approve the result.  But it is not at all
> the same thing as a WG process.  A framework.
>
> The RSE will have to either invent the RFC (series/editor) charter
> themselves or will eternally be chasing around individual components to
> operate to the RSE's specifications:  without an environment in which
> the RSE's change of specification can be discussed and understood
> against the overall mission.
>

> As has been noted on this list before,  the IAB has an important to
> play, but it's doubtful it can fulfill enough of an *operational*
> oversight role, because that is not the focus of the Internet
> *Architecture* Board.
>

> So, the key things I'm trying to address here are: 1/ ensuring the RFC
> Editor retains enough structure to be coherent, 2/ keeping the IAB
> involved but not operational , and 3/ getting an RSE job shaped up that
> might reasonably be filled by something other than a superhuman (which
> would be fine, but perhaps not something we want to gate the process on).
>

> The executive summary:  I'm proposing that one of the advisory
> committees mentioned in draft-iab-rfc-editor-model be populated as an
> RFC Editor framework committee, chartered as an activity of the IAB (not
> to say made up of IAB members).
>

> Preamble
> --------
>
> In mid- to late-January, there was discussion on the rfc-interest list
> about the responsibility and support for the RSE:  a general push to
> give the RSE "hiring/firing" authority over other components in the
> model, and general pushback against inserting the RSE into an
> operational role with other contractors.   It was just one of the
> discussions around which parts of RFC responsibility fell where, and
> whether or how to draw all the intricate lines of responsibility between
> the components defined in draft-iab-rfc-editor-model.
>
> As an out-of-band remark at the time, I mooted the idea of standing up a
> properly-structured, other, separate entity that would have a
> [...]

"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle