[rfc-i] URL Issue, was Re: draft-iab-streams-headers-boilerplates-07.txt

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Apr 9 05:18:47 PDT 2009

Russ in another thread wrote:

> However, Olaf declared consensus for an rfc-specific URL (as opposed
> to a stream-specific URL), so section  3.2.3 needs a significant
> change as well.  Further, there has been discussion that this URL
> should not be the place learn "how to provide feedback" on a
> document.  To do so would require the RFC Editor to track whether a
> particular WG mail list is still open or not, and so on.  I suggest
> that the phrase be dropped.

Also in my April 3 message on this thread I highlighted the
inconsistency between 3.2.3 and 3.4 and proposed merging the two
(dropping 3.4). I have seen no feedback so taking into account Russ'
comment 3.2.3 ends up as:

<draft>
3.2.3.  Paragraph 3

The boilerplate ends with a reference to where further relevant
information can be found.  This may include information
whether the RFC has been updated or obsoleted, the RFC's origin, a
listing of possible errata, information about how to provide
feedback and suggestion, and information on how to submit errata
as described in [I-D.rfc-editor-errata-process]. The exact wording,
and URL,
is subject to change (at the RFC Editor's discretion), but current
text is:

"Further information about this document, such as its current status,
and
  any errata, may be obtained at: http://www.rfc-editor.org/status/
rfc<rfc-no>"

</draft>

I realize that the description still allows for the page to provide
information about feedback and suggestions. Personally, I think that
it is a good idea to capture that thought.