[rfc-i] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-02.txt

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Sep 30 08:29:46 PDT 2008

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 2:45 PM +0200 9/30/08, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> First of all: I fully support this proposal (and will help implementing
>> it in the rfc2629 tool chain).
>
> Thanks!
>
>> That being said, Section 2.4 suggests that for the author's and the
>> employer's name, two spellings can be supported. Good.
>>
>> However, what's the expectation for other parts of the contact
>> information (street, city)?
>
> We didn't have one. I can see advantages for allowing it (it is
> spelling, after all), and disadvantages for allowing it (it is much less
> clear that someone searching for this text would think to try the
> non-ASCII spelling). We're open to whatever the community wants.

My feeling is that it would be good to allow non-ASCII characters here
(obviously, with me being located in Münster ;-), and an alternate
spelling (ASCII) wouldn't be needed (who is going to search contact
information by address -- ok, except some tools extracting statistics
about where authors come from...).

BR, Julian